|“||Did you miss me?||”|
Grave New World is the thirteenth episode of Season 4 of Pretty Little Liars and is dubbed as episode 0 for Ravenswood. It aired on October 22, 2013 and serves as the season's third Halloween Special (for PLL) and the first for Ravenswood. This episode also introduced the Ravenswood Characters of Miranda Collins and Luke Matheson.
Dressed in their costumes, Aria, Hanna, Emily and Spencer make their way into the graveyard party. Emily is hesitant to continue on—she isn’t sure she is ready to see Alison, but Aria says that they already have. With that, they all walk through the graveyard’s gates. Hanna spots two blonde haired little girls wearing red coats. Ezra calls Aria to ask where she is and to be careful—and we see that he is at the graveyard, too, wearing a gas mask costume.
Meanwhile, Caleb sits on the bus headed for Ravenswood. He is alone except for a mysterious man sitting at the back of the bus and a girl sitting next to him. They make small talk, and she introduces herself as Miranda. She is on her way to Ravenswood as well, and explains that she has been a foster child for most of her life, and she is going to Ravenswood to meet her uncle for the very first time. Caleb mentions that he is a foster child as well.
Back at the party, the four girls are gathered in the tent, wondering why Ali would go to a party like this. They spot a strange person dressed in a gas mask costume, similar to the one they found in A’s lair. He is with a girl as well, and they talk to each other in low voices. As Spencer spies on him, Aria and Emily follow the girl as she walks out of the tent, but Emily is stopped by Mrs. Grunwald, who tells her that they should all leave. Meanwhile, Hanna once again sees the strange blonde girls in red coats.
Still on the bus, Caleb calls Hanna, but she won’t answer her phone. He tells Miranda Hanna is his girlfriend, and then they discuss Miranda’s uncle, who doesn’t know Miranda will be coming.
Alone, Aria follows the girl and helps her out of an empty grave, which she had fallen into. Aria questions if she was pushed by the man she was with earlier, but she says that is her cousin and that he wasn’t behind this. Her cousin arrives, tells her that the graveyard isn’t safe and the leave. Emily and Spencer meet up and briefly look for Hanna and Aria, but they all find each other.
As they walk through the graveyard, they spot Red Coat running into a tomb. They all quickly chase after her, but once they get there, she is gone. They spot an area that has no leaves, so they push away a statue, which reveals a hidden pathway of tunnels down under the graveyard. They walk down into them, and then the secret door shuts, trapping them in the tunnels. Panicked, they make their way through the tunnels, one of which is very windy. They all hold hands and stand against the wall, but Hanna gets separated from the group.
She walks the tunnels alone, searching for the others, when she sees a sign written red on the wall, saying “HELP ME”. She drops her hat and runs, finally finding a stairwell that leads to a door. She opens the door and finds herself in a dusty old mansion. She hesitates but continues onward, and we see that she is being followed by someone wearing the gas mask suit.
Caleb and Miranda arrive in Ravenswood and say farewell at the graveyard, and Miranda arrives at her uncle’s mansion—the same one that Hanna is in. Hanna walks through the halls of the house and finally finds a phone booth. She steps inside, and someone locks her in. She tries using the phone, but it is just a prank phone, and she realizes that she is locked in. Strange candles/lights approach the phone booth, but they quickly go out and Hanna sees Ali and the gas masked man approaching through the foggy glass. However, as soon as they get close, they disappear, which may mean that Hanna was just imagining it.
Meanwhile, Spencer, Aria and Emily make their way into the house from the tunnels, looking for Hanna. They hear what they think is Alison talking, and Spencer runs off to look for her, and Aria and Emily lose her.
Miranda finds Hanna in the phone booth and lets her out. They introduce themselves and Miranda realizes that Hanna is Caleb’s girlfriend. They make their way through the house, looking for an exit, until they find a room full of coffins. Miranda remembers being in this room with her uncle at her parents’ funeral, and realizes that her uncle had abandoned her there.
Spencer walks into a greenhouse area of the house, and finds the man in the gas mask. They have a brief fight, and Spencer is knocked out before she can pull of his mask, and he flees. Miranda and Hanna finally find their way out of the house and go to the graveyard where Caleb was. Caleb finds them, and Hanna tells Caleb that she thinks A may have Ali. She leads both of them to the tomb where the entrance to the tunnels was, but it is sealed shut. Miranda, meanwhile, finds a gravestone with her name and face on it, and she is baffled.
Aria and Emily find Spencer in the greenhouse and wake her up, and they quickly run out of the room, following Ali’s voice. They follow it into a room, and see that it wasn’t Ali’s voice at all, but just a recording. Mrs. Grunwald walks in and tells them that they shouldn’t be in there. The girls say that they think they followed Alison into the house, and Mrs. Grunwald reveals that the tape was a recording of one of Ali’s sessions with her. Six months before, the tapes were stolen, and Mrs. Grunwald gets a bad feeling—that Emily, Aria, or Spencer has touched the one Alison fears the most. They leave the house and return to their car, and they find that their tires have been slashed.
Caleb and Hanna are about to rejoin the girls and leave Miranda. They invite her back to Rosewood and offer her to stay with Hanna, but Miranda refuses because she still has questions for her uncle. Hanna tells Caleb to stay with Miranda to make sure she stays safe. They kiss and bid farewell. As Hanna walks back to the car, she sees the two blonde girls once again—although, it is revealed that one is really a short man dressed as a little girl.
Hanna rejoins the girls just as Ezra arrives and offers them all a ride home. They drive back to Rosewood and get out of the car. Once Ezra has driven away, they spot Red Coat staring at them in the woods. She runs away, and they chase her back to Spencer’s barn, where she stops and pulls down her hood.
She turns around, and it is Alison, alive and well. She looks nervous, and she greets them with shaky “Did you miss me?” The girls are all overcome with shock and joy, and Aria says that it really was her that lead them to the lair and around Ravenswood.
Ali looks back into the woods and sees a light, and says that she doesn’t have much time and that it isn’t safe for her to be in Rosewood. They beg her not to leave again, and Ali says that she wants to come home, but she needs their help. Spencer asks who she is afraid of, but all Ali does is tell Hanna to remember what she told her in the hospital after she was hit by the car. Hanna is shocked as she realizes that their encounter wasn’t a dream at all.
They hear someone approaching, and Ali fearfully puts a finger to her lips. The girls turn. Ezra walks into the backyard, supposedly to give Aria back her cell phone. When the girls turn back around, Ali has run off again.
In the final scene, Caleb and Miranda walk through the graveyard and find a tombstone with Caleb’s name and picture on it.
- Troian Bellisario as Spencer Hastings
- Ashley Benson as Hanna Marin
- Shay Mitchell as Emily Fields
- Lucy Hale as Aria Montgomery
- Sasha Pieterse as Alison DiLaurentis
- Tyler Blackburn as Caleb Rivers
- Ian Harding as Ezra Fitz
- Keegan Allen as Toby Cavanaugh
- Meg Foster as Carla Grunwald
Special Guest Cast
Title and Background
- If the girls find out that Ali is really alive, their whole world will be changed. This may be the girls' first step into their new lives with the knowledge of Ali being alive.
- This title is a pun to Aldous Huxley's novel, Brave New World, written in 1932.
- The Halloween Special might also shed some light on "the curse" the plagues Ravenswood.
- Hanna and Caleb will part ways as Caleb will travel to Ravenswood. It is inspired by Casablanca and Hanna will let Caleb go willingly.
- Hanna and Mona have a scene together. 
- Sasha said that the "era" that they choose was brilliant for the theme. According to costumes and the gas mask suit, it appears to be World War I era (1914-1918) theme.
- Oliver said that there will be a great plot twist at the end of this episode. It will lead into Ravenswood, and even Season 4B.
- Maya tweeted that "this Halloween is definitely the darkest yet!" 
- Janel confirmed that we will find out who the other Red Coat is in this episode. 
- Sasha said this episode is beautiful but freaky at the same time.
- Bryan tweeted that this episode definitely brings the drama! 
- Based on the leaked promo, the girls wear era costumes, Carla Grunwald appears, and Hanna goes missing.
- The girls are still in Ravenswood based on the promo.
- Ezra is still in Ravenswood based on the promo and his promo is real.
- We might find out who Red Coat #2 is in this episode.
- CeCe may reappear as Red Coat.
- "... You will find out for sure in the Halloween episode," Sasha Pieterse tells E! Online. "You find out if Alison is alive or dead and I think that is going to be a really cool thing for me and a really big treat, so I'm excited to see what the fans think of that episode." 
- This episode will be directly linked to the pilot of Ravenswood (TV series), as Caleb will make the decision to stay in Ravenswood in this episode, and the pilot will continue his journey.
- The episode will be 1 hour, not 2, because the trailer of this episode said: 8/7c and Ravenswood's: 9/8c. The part of "Take 2 hours to be told will be due to the world premiere of "Ravenswood"
- Lucy Hale stated that this episode is her favorite episode to date, and to film. 
- A photo have been release to the public of Ali in a red coat
- Elisabeth Whitson appears in this episode as a character named Leah, who is apparantly Luke's cousin. However, when this episode was shot Whitson was still going to play Olivia, Luke's twin sister, in the actual spin-off show. The role was recast with Merrit Patterson after this episode was shot and before the first episode for Ravenswood was shot. If you look closely you can see the dialogue was changed during post-production and doesn't match up with what her lips are saying. Her lips are saying 'No, that was my brother', but we're hearing 'cousin' instead of 'brother'. When Luke calls her 'Leah', that's also off-screen. He was probably calling her 'Olivia' before.
- This is the first time that Noel, Mona and Jenna do not appear in a Halloween episode.
- This will be the third Halloween episode, the first being The_First_Secret and the second being, This Is A Dark Ride for Pretty Little Liars and the first for Ravenswood.
- Filming began on May 29, 2013 and ended on June 10, 2013 since filming "usually takes 7 days".
- This episode (4x13) was filmed between The Guilty Girl's Handbook (4x08) and Into the Deep 4x09) for unknown reasons.
- This episode takes place at the Ravenswood Celebration, and starts off from Now You See Me, Now You Don't.
- Ravenswood will premiere on October 22, 2013, right after this episode airs.
- Joseph Dougherty tweeted that this episode is in continuity, between the events of 4x12 and 4x14. 
- Joseph tweeted that this episode will air at Halloween, but it won't be set at Halloween, due to the timeline of events. The episode may be set in December, due to 3x24 being established as mid to late November, and Halloween has already passed. 
- Maya Goldsmith tweeted about what couple costumes the fans wanted Aria and Ezra to be in, if they were going to a costume party. 
- Lauren Ann (@LASteere) tweetedthat Ezra will be dressing up for a special occasion in the Halloween episode. 
- Maya also tweeted that this year's Halloween costumes are going to be different than any other season's. 
- Bryan tweeted that he was looking at four Pretty Little Liars in their gorgeous Halloween costumes. It may involve hair extensions. 
- Kyle tweeted that Lucy looked so much like Princess Leia. Lucy tweeted that the force was with her, in reply to Kyle. 
- This episode takes place in Ravenswood in continuity from the episode Now You See Me, Now You Don't.
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/JMeilanixo/status/340136354270826496
- ↑ https://twitter.com/Maya_Goldsmith/status/347489612962361344
- ↑ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOe4GEQzPfk
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/BryanHoldman/status/367860472881504257
- ↑ http://www.eonline.com/news/452595/pretty-little-liars-summer-finale-sasha-pieterse-spills-you-find-out-if-alison-is-alive-or-dead
- ↑ http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/pretty-little-liars/finale-party
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/Kockenlocker/status/326192903410024448
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/Kockenlocker/status/327288959761776641
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/Kockenlocker/status/326056469583765504
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/Maya_Goldsmith/status/322944054956539904
- ↑ https://twitter.com/LAsteere/status/358459609989660672
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/Maya_Goldsmith/status/328883105312165889
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/BryanHoldman/status/340613708759855104
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/KyleBown/status/343160440370651136
- ↑ https://mobile.twitter.com/lucyhale/status/343163242106986497